Monday, March 20, 2017

Money Matters

I find it a bit ironic that I am writing about the Money, Stewardship and Spending chapter.

Personally, I have struggled with money throughout my life. Growing up in a lower middle class family, we did not have money in savings, if we even had a savings account. As a first-generation college student, I borrowed every dollar I could, not thinking about the fact that someday I would have to pay it back (something I am VERY familiar with at this point). When I got my first car, I also borrowed outside of my comfort zone. In fact, there were times into my early 30s that I still had to call my parents for help paying a bill or even getting enough money to buy food.

It wasn’t until I started working as a fundraiser, and eventually in leading a non-profit in New York City, that money took on a new value in my life. As I began to find joy in giving to others and supporting causes that were important to me, I wanted more ability to give freely. As I became accustomed to putting money aside, my view of money began to shift.

Realizing that at some point I wanted to buy a house and start a family, I knew I had some work to do to pay off debt and start saving for my future. The first few years of what I like to consider as “my journey to financial maturity” were filled with many mistakes. I read about budgets, took workshops, opened a saving account, and even explored investing. Sadly, I failed at most (ok, all) of these thoughts – and continue to fail on some to this day.

As a community of faith, or as a community in general, we have the ability to help people living in poverty understand other ways to view money; however, we have to be cautious. Our systems, from tithing at church to building our credit, are built outside of those in living in poverty.


It can be hard to imagine not having a checking account. It can be difficult to imagine having to pay a bill late because payday came too late. Talking about money is often uncomfortable, but today, as you read this blog and explore the questions at the end of Chapter 6, seriously look at the role money plays in your life. 

Beau Heyen is President/CEO of Episcopal Community Services in Kansas City, MO.

No comments:

Post a Comment